The inauguration of the ISSA Focal Point for Eurasia will take place in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 28 June 2011. The opening of the new Focal Point will be followed by a Technical Seminar on the Social Protection of Migrant Labour and Globalization. The Technical Seminar and Focal Point will be hosted by the State Social Protection Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Constantly changing conditions of labour markets in the context of globalization and the growing scale of international migration has generated significant concerns about the social rights and social protection available to people outside their countries of origin. Although migrant workers make considerable contributions to the economies of the countries of their employment, they often face limited or no access to social security coverage.
In September 2005, the State Social Protection Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan (SSPF) hosted a Technical Seminar on "Social protection of labour migrants and globalization" organized by the International Social Security Association (ISSA) in close cooperation with the International Association of Pension and Social Funds (IAPSF). The participants highlighted the importance of social security for migrants and the advantages of modern and appropriate tools for ensuring good coverage of this workforce which plays an important role in the economic development of the countries of employment. The participants subsequently adopted in Moscow a joint ISSA-IAPSF Declaration that expressed concern with regards to social security of migrant workers in general, restrictions in the legislations limiting access to social security benefits, inadequacy of coverage against the risks of old-age, disability, unemployment, etc., portability of rights earned in one country to the home country or another country of employment, identification of migrant workers by national authorities of host countries and data exchange systems between national social security administrations.
Now the ISSA is organizing a new Technical Seminar to discuss the current situation and achievements made by ISSA and IAPSF member organizations during the last five years concerning the provision of social security benefits and services to migrant workers and also facilitate the development of new recommendations that would help to coordinate activities in solving issues with a view to enhancing the social protection of migrant workers and their families. The seminar will be hosted by SSPF in Baku, Azerbaijan on 28-29 June, 2011.
The Technical Seminar is to address the following important topics:
- Coordination of national social security systems of countries, establishment of common international standards to promote bilateral and multilateral relations in this field;
- Discussion of international practice and development of recommendations and procedures for facilitating negotiations on bilateral and multilateral social security agreements;
- Overview of bilateral and multilateral agreements and their underlying objectives;
- Development and adoption of national legislative norms to promote and protect the social security rights of migrant workers;
- Facilitating uniformity and standardization of data exchange on migrant workers between national social security administrations of collaborating countries;
- Perspectives on the introduction of mandatory funded schemes with a view to enhancing income security for different groups of the population.
The event is open to ISSA members in the region and invited persons only.