Between 2015 and 2022, various legislative, operational, and technological measures were developed and implemented to ensure the long-term sustainability of social security, with emphasis on the modernization and automation of declarations of remuneration, contributions management, payments, and regularization of the debt.
The challenges were enormous. Thus, a strategy was established for the progressive and integrated implementation of several measures:
- 1st Phase: 2015–2022
- Create and consolidate the contribution management and debt settlement.
- Manage and control electronically the remuneration statement and the contributions from the private sector.
- Automate payments to the social security.
- Calculate the private sector debt electronically and implement the Extraordinary Debt Settlement (EDS).
- 2nd Phase: 2023–2027
- Extend these measures to the public sector, reinforce debt collection and settlement, namely coercive debt.
The 1st phase of the strategy was successfully completed. The establishment of a contributory career path for policyholders in the private sector was ensured and the provision of various electronic services to taxpayers, allowing them to swiftly fulfil their obligation to declare contributions.