The Social Insurance Institution (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych – ZUS) introduces plain language standards to communicate with customers.
- tested our language of communication with the customers;
- developed language standards to communicate with customers in four areas of written communication, namely, forms, letters, documents on administrative processes, and the website;
- adopted in 2017 official guidelines on language to communicate with customers, and in 2018 a signed declaration on the use of plain language;
- prepared plain language textbooks that are tailored to the needs of these four areas of communication;
- trained our employees on comprehensible writing – over 37,000 people in workshops with trainers and 10,000 people in e-learning; and
- simplified news articles on the zus.pl website – about a thousand pages and several hundred informational publications, e.g., leaflets, brochures and newsletters.
We are also:
- simplifying our document forms and templates; and
- working on using plain official language in ZUS decisions and other letters.
In the 43 branches and headquarters of ZUS, we have a total of 175 internal trainers-consultants in plain official language.