International Section of the ISSA on Prevention in Agriculture
The International Section of the ISSA on Prevention in Agriculture implements accident prevention for all those employed in agriculture and forestry (including special cultures).
Half of the world's labour force is employed in agriculture and an estimated 1.3 billion workers are engaged in agricultural production worldwide. The share of the agricultural labour force in the total economically active population is under 10 per cent in developed countries and accounts for 59 per cent of workers in the less developed regions.
Agriculture is one of the most hazardous sectors in both developing and industrialized countries. It is ranked as one of the three most hazardous industries together with mining and construction. According to ILO estimates of about 330.000 fatal workplace accidents worldwide, there were some 170.000 casualties among agricultural workers.
Ensuring safety and health at the workplace is a humanitarian and economic principle. Founded in 1969, the International Section of the ISSA on Prevention in Agriculture implements accident prevention for all those employed in agriculture and forestry (including special cultures).
The objectives of the Section are to:
- promote the exchange of information between the authorities engaged in prevention in agriculture and forestry;
- organize technical meetings in the form of symposium or round table conferences as well as technical commissions and working groups;
- carry out investigations and studies;
- develop programmes for education and publicity;
- produce and publish complex technical solutions for practical results;
- initiate cross-sectoral prevention measures in co-operation with other Sections.
For more information please consult the
The Agriculture Section of the ISSA has provided in-depth analysis of a great variety of aspects of occupational safety and health in agriculture, especially with regards to hazards connected with the use of agricultural machinery and equipment, as well as hazards arising in connection with dangerous work substances. It promotes a safer behaviour and has published concrete recommendations for the prevention of accidents at work, occupational diseases and work-related health hazards.
The Section organizes International colloquiums, meetings and round-table conferences at regular intervals. Subjects have included:
- 2004: Prevention In Agriculture and Forestry, Children Are The Future, Forest Work Today.
- 2003: Prevention In Agriculture - The Way Forward For All Self-employed, Employers And Employees.
- 2002: Prevention In Small And Medium Sized Enterprises And Prevention In Developing Countries.
- 2001: Prevention of Occupational Risks In Agriculture - A Common Challenge For Developing And Industrial Countries.
- 2000: Safety And Health - A Challenge For Prevention In Agriculture - Risk Management, Training And Education, Forest Work - In Large And Small Enterprises, Use of Mobile Machinery, Children On Farms, Emerging Health Risks, Integration of Ergonomics.
The Section is composed of members. Its two executive bodies are the General Assembly and the Bureau. The Bureau of the Section is elected by the General Assembly of the members. It is composed of a Chairperson, two Vice-chairpersons and a Secretary General.
Since 1987, the Bureau is being assisted by an International Advisory Board composed of experts from various countries. It deliberates about the Section's future activities and defines the tasks and targets/aims of the international accident prevention in agriculture on long-term basis.
It is furthermore in charge of developing and preparing the agenda of Section meetings as well as to follow up on the findings of the meetings.
Members of the Bureau
Artur Brzóska, President of the Kasa Rolniczego Ubezpieczenia Spolecznego, Al. Niepodleglosci 190, 00-608 Warszawa, Poland.
T: +48 22 592 64 62, F: +48 22 592 66 50
Paivi Huotari, President of the Farmers Social Insurance Institution, Revontulentje 6, FIN-02100 Espoo, Finland.
T: +358 20 630 02 68, F: +358 20 630 04 00
Eric Van Daele, Caisse Centrale de la Mutualité Sociale Agricole, Les Mercuriales, 40, Rue Jean Jaurès, F-93547 Bagnole, France.
T: +33 1 4163 7249, F: +33 1 4163 7246
Secretary General (ad interim)
Robert Liana, Kasa Rolniczego Ubezpieczenia Spolecznego, Al. Niepodleglosci 190, 00-608 Warszawa, Poland.