The participants in this Regional Social Security Forum are mainly directors of social security systems, most of which have not yet introduced health care benefits. Considerations to introduce health care benefits are however undertaken in numerous countries, and provide a great challenge in the current reforms or changes that are underway in the social security systems in Africa.
The major issues are covered by reviewing the following questions:
- Is health care important?
- What is the added value of health care in a social security system?
- Why has health care not been integrated into social security systems so far?
- What are the options for increasing funding for health care?
- What has happened in the meantime?
- How can we proceed?